Welcome to Cricket Wellington's mental health and wellbeing hub
As part of Cricket Wellington’s (and the Blaze & Firebird's) ambition to promote and normalise conversations around mental health for cricketers of all levels across the region and beyond, we are pleased to welcome you to Wellington’s home of mental health and wellbeing for everyone involved in the game we love. We’re in it for the long haul, so consider this site a multi-year project that will grow season by season, providing online resource and support for cricketers to develop the mental skills and resilience to thrive in the modern game.
Staying mentally fit for matchday
1. Prepare for the game
- Eat well and get plenty of good sleep
- Visualise how your performance and the game itself could pan out.
- Draw on past experiences
- Familiarise yourself with the ground and surroundings
2. Focus during the game
- Talk to your team mates
- Be in the moment
- Focus on your breathing
- Have a mantra, for example, “What does my team require of me right now?”
3. Reflect on the match
- Did you achieve what you wanted to
- Keep a journal
- Compare your performance against your goals
- Rewatch the match if you can
- Reﬂect on the match with your teammates
4. Create good habits
- Consider mental ﬁtness the same as physical ﬁtness.
- Know your mental routines.
- Practice mental ﬁtness.
5. Check in with your team
- Take the focus off yourself.
- Celebrate your team mates’ success.
- Be aware of who has had a tough day and talk to them.
What do you think? If you'd like to see something included on this site or just want to give some feedback, make some noise! firstname.lastname@example.org